Friday, December 10, 2010

La Machine

I’m a huge fan of the idea that if it can be done simpler, then so be it!  Knowing how to use a food processor is a great aid in this direction.  Yes, READ the instructions (I can’t believe I said that).  ‘Pulsing, timing, paying attention, and knowing your ingredients’ is the answer.  Not everything has to be processed all together at the same time.  Not everything is ‘puree’ and needs to be consumed with a straw.
There is a logical order in which ingredients are to be added if more than one ingredient is being processed.  For example, I would avoid processing whole garlic last in a salad dressing  -- unless of course you like chewing on chunks of raw garlic.   The idea would be to put rough-chopped garlic in at the beginning, with some moisture (most likely vinegar and mustard, then later the oil) and processing till it’s a milky thick liquid, then adding the other ingredients that you want to have a larger size chop.

I like using the processor to grind up foundation vegetables (as described above, being the flavor level of the food preparation) perhaps a mirepoix, to a smallish relish-like dice, caramelizing them in oil/butter, then hand-cutting the visible and mouth-feel bite ingredients for later addition.  Time saved, flavor enhanced.

Salsa, love it; I can eat it solo with a spoon.  Pulsing the ingredients separately at a time to the desired size is so easy, and surely beats hand-chopping.  But you have to watch the ingredients inside the processor bowl as they are pulsed.  It isn’t that hard.

Blenders are perfect.  I have a fairly good idea how the margarita was made without electricity, but I’m glad that was worked out before I had learned to love many foods and drinks using chopped ice.  I remember hand-cranking the ice crusher for picnics when I was a kid.  Boy, that takes me back!  I haven’t seen those things in years.  And sauces, drinks, gravies, and desserts just wouldn’t be the same at all.  The creaminess and texture are real hard to recreate any other way.

The power beater or mixer, something my mom constantly tried to keep my fingers out of, has been around a long time.  Using a hand whisk is fine, as it has more control to the final texture desired -- I don’t know about you, but my wrist and arm have a timer attached and usually give out before the end of the intended task.

Mandolin.  I’ve rarely used one, although it’s a great idea.  I can never fault a timesaving device.  Plus the tool brings uniformity, which can be tantamount to some recipes, like au gratins, tarts, potato chips and pickling.  I have friends that have one and swear by it.  Just watch your fingers.  They use the guards on TV because responsibility dictates they have to, although there is a huge temptation to NOT use the guard.  Why do you think they call it a guard?  If one is not available, try a clean, new garden type glove, or use a potato half as a guard between your fingers and the stuff you’re slicing.

You want more time away from the chores and tasks, and that time turned over to being with friends and family and not in the kitchen chopping, dicing, grinding, rolling, pounding – I’m tired just writing it.  (Thanks keyboards!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to ask or to comment, I want to hear from you!